As much as I hate to say it, I am looking for a new home for Brielle. While she and Davey did learn how to play better together, she is still too big a dog with him when she gets excited and still hurts him accidentally. I would have stuck it out, but I’m making some decisions about moving into a new home, and I won’t be able to keep her when I move.
Davey also has not learned how to treat Brielle, although she has done better about being more gentle with him. I catch him slapping her and sometimes even climbing on her, and while she will put up with it great, with little to no reaction, I do not want him treating her this way, and I have not found a way to get him to understand he can’t do that to a dog even if they let him.
I am most likely moving somewhere that does not allow dogs, and if this plan doesn’t work out, I will be renting a house somewhere else and it is hard to find one that allows dogs and even if they do allow dogs, I would have a pet deposit, plus not likely get the security deposit back if I move again later after having a dog in the house.
I hate to uproot Brielle after she has adjusted to living with us and is happy with us, but I have to do what is best for Davey and me, and in some ways it will be better for Brielle if I can find her a good home. She needs someone who can spend more time playing with her than I do. I do not do well with active, hyper, puppies and had no idea she was a puppy when I got her. She certainly didn’t act like a puppy the first week we had her, and the people I got her from had no idea how young she was. I would have stuck it out, but it is going to be best to find her new owners who don’t mind an active puppy and don’t have children as young as Davey. If we weren’t moving I would have kept her though. I know she will settle down eventually and would be the perfect dog for us eventually.
I have possibly found her a new home, and should get a definite answer from them later today or tomorrow. They have a 9 month old golden retriever so they know how active a big playful puppy can be and know how to handle it and Brielle would love having another dog to play with. They have a large fenced in yard too for her to run and play. If they take her, they will pick her up Monday or Tuesday. I had one other person interested who did not seem like a good fit because they were worried about how hyper she would be and her husband thought she was too big, and she was concerned about the shedding (which Brielle sheds a lot if I don’t keep her brushed often!). This person I am waiting to hear back from should know what to expect since they have a golden retriever puppy at least. I’m really hoping this one works out for her because they seem so perfect for her. They also do not have small children to worry about with her.
I have loved sharing our story with Brielle with all of you (and I know you all have loved the dog giveaways!). Maybe sometime down the road we can get another dog that is a better fit for us, once I am settled in somewhere and know I am not moving. This decision to move came up a little unexpected because I was planning to buy the house I am renting now but our plans with that have not worked out. I would have never taken in Brielle if I had any idea I would be moving so soon and might not be able to keep her. I really hate doing that to dogs and I hope her new home becomes her forever home.